I decided since I hadn't written a post in a few days I'd come down to work and enjoy the nice sunshine and bum our internet.
Happy Birthday to the Meeks boys...many safe returns.
So the last couple of nights at work have been slow. So slow nights = me alone with my brain. Not necessarily a good thing.
You have to understand something. My brain is like an Aston Martin DB9 V 12 engine running on jet fuel. It is going all the time. And I don't really have a shut off switch either. So most of the time...I just have to wait until it runs out of gas. This is not fun at 1 in the morning when I'm trying to sleep because I have to be at work at 5:30.
Sometimes it is noticeable in my mood changes. If I'm sitting quietly looking off into space...I am probably off somewhere in the far corners of my mind thinking about...who knows what. On the outside I may be my normal high gear bouncing off the walls self while my mind is griding gears like a kid learning manual transmission for the first time.
But on those days when I am feeling....mellow...man does it ever show. I think this is why people think I'm usually one extreme or the other. I was working with my friend Katherine and she noticed that I was quieter than normal. I was thinking about a lot of stuff all at once. Within a hour...I was back to joking around and cutting up.
The other bad thing is my mind is highly analytical. I inherited that from my genius father and grandfather. There minds where geared toward mechanical things and I have never seen anyone...on earth in my opinion better with that sort of thing. Yes, I am bragging...they are cool guys.
My mind is geared toward life things. So I try to understand people, situations, emotions, relationships, actions and words. These things intrigue me because they are a major part of our human experience. Why do we get worked up over this? Or why does this bother me or you? What makes a person say that or do that?
I also think about how all of this fits into God's plan for us. So I am thinking about all these humanly things and processing how it relates to our relationship with God. This is a daily thing.
Example: My friend Joy was talking to me about 1st Corinthians 13 last night. She was asking me about a certain word that was used in the passage and its meaning. So being the scholar that I am....I went to the Greek (two pats on the back for me). Looked up the word and then had a debate. However, being the not so great scholar at Greek that I am (pats taken away) I was having a difficult time explaining things. Which made me really want to study Greek more...because the more I know about Greek the better I will be at reading scripture and the better at explaining it. This is important to me because understanding scripture is understanding what God is saying to us. Pretty big deal.
My biggest struggle is harnessing my mind and using it 100% of the time to understand my/our relationship with God and his words to us (Bible). I spend so much time thinking about things that don't matter.
I'm trying to get my mind to the place that Paul talks about in Colossians 3:2
On that note...until tomorrow. Peace
Monday, March 3, 2008
overdrive
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment