Monday, June 2, 2008

freedom from sin

Sometimes I hate having good thoughts right after writing a blog that I also believe was a good thought. I just don't want my other thoughts over looked.

Anyway.

I had my friend Don read my blog tonight and he told me I was a good writer. This was after I went on a tirade about some issues I have with the Church.

I'm glad he's my friend.

Anyway. Again I am sitting awake again. Just finished watching another episode of Life. It is a good show, well acted, well written and excellently cast. I realize that my sitting up late could be viewed as time wasted or squandered, maybe even that I've been a poor steward of my time.

maybe.

I mean you never know where you might get a sermon illustration. Oh and Dr. Black always told us to be up on what is going on in the world and pop culture.

Thats probably a stretch.

But I generally never just watch something to disconnect. I actually enjoy a story that is intriguing and is going somewhere. I know a lot of people watch TV or movies to just relax.

I don't. I like to think.

I watch TV and movies because it keeps my brain going. It may make me think about something in a different way.

So to me if I can do this and still think about things am I really wasting time?

For instance.

This show is about a cop who is found guilty of a murder he did not commit. He is sentenced to life in prison, but is later exonerated after twelve years of incarceration.

Yea. That sounds rough.

So the show is about him after his settlement, he's rich but still works as a detective. He's a good cop.

However, it is obvious that his imprisonment took its toll. There is constant reference to the fact that people are imprisoned by their situations, by people and by life itself sometimes.

Here is the pay dirt. You think you are ready for this?

We are imprisoned by sin.

Tah dah. What an epiphany that one was.

Seriously though there is more truth to that statement than we realize. We get so bound up by all that sin brings with it. Sin is the thing that puts a gap between us and God. God is Holy, He can't have anything to do with sin. It is not what God wants for us because He knows it isn't the best. He also knows that His best doesn't carry guilt, shame, mental anguish, physical consequences, grief and regret that transgressions against what He wants does. It's funny even people who are apart from God experience these things. Funny. Makes me think just how close God is to all of us, even those who have blocked him out or refused him. The soul inside of them experiences something that they don't fully understand. I think they realize something is wrong, but just aren't sure what it is that they need. The imprint of creator God still has a gravity even on the worst of sinners. The Holy Spirit at work on the hearts of people who wouldn't even know it was Him. Maybe a little thing called prevenient grace? I'm not saying God is sneaky, I just think its cool how in our inner most creation something inside us is in turmoil if we are apart or in opposition to Him. I think He made us that way. That our soul would cry out to him.

The moon has a gravity on the sea, it affects the tides and stuff like that.

Maybe God has a gravity on our soul?

And who is the only person that could calm the seas?

Maybe it is just that simple.

Sin separated us from God. Jesus paid the price for our sin to rectify our relationship with God. Sin is our prison and Jesus is our rescuer and our key.

We need Jesus because He undoes the shackles. He's that missing piece, the bridge back to God. When we accept Him as Savior we are saying, Yes God, We were disobedient. Yes God, We need your son. We know we are not right with Him, we are not good, We need Jesus because He is the only thing that can save us.

He calms the storms in our souls.

He bring us back into communion with God, the creator of our soul.

He sets us free from our prison.

Our sin prison.

Anyway, how is that for thinking?

No comments: