I promised something of substance…here we go.
The Olympic Games are coming up soon. In about 10 days the greatest athletes of many nations will be on the world stage displaying their stuff. The media is in a frenzy of activity over this event, the first in China’s history. The American media has been showing programs about the human rights issues there for over half a year now.
China is now on display for the whole world to see.
China has really tried to put a positive spin on the Olympic Games, to show the outside world a beautiful, powerful, unified and positive China. It has done a good job, but the people who want the world to know that is an illusion have done a better one. Maybe winning the bid for the Games way back in 2001 was a good thing for the Chinese people. Maybe, this will draw the much-needed spot light on the Communist Regime.
There are real human rights issues in China and they can’t sweep them under the rug any longer. More than just America and Australia realize this.
I know many people care and realize this isn’t right, but what do we do?
I am issuing a challenge to anyone who reads my blog.
Boycott the games! Do not watch them on TV! If the IOC (International Olympic Committee) is going to allow this to go on then we have to do something. We have to show them it matters to us. Ratings matter big time.
I know that is hard, believe me I want to watch the games. I mean who do I cheer for this year? America or Australia? I want to watch them and if nobody thinks it will accomplish anything I will think of something else to do, but China wants us to watch and forget that all around that city people are being silenced by force.
People are held for petitioning the government for injustices done to them. You cannot speak against the government for fear of reprisals. Families are broken, homes are stolen and the spirit of the people has been crushed. China is building an image and a society unopposed on the broken backs and spirit of its people.
Do we just overlook this and hope for the best?
What do we do?
Can we ignore our conscience?
We know there is something wrong and it is not the media spinning un-truths. There is no more doubt for me that the Communist Regime of China is oppressing its people.
Dialog with me about this. Post comments here.
Time to take action.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Human rights and the Olympic Games
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I suppose my question would be, "what would that accomplish other than sending a message to the IOC?" And even, "what would that accomplish even if the message got out to world at large?"
The only answer I could come up with is: the Olympics not going to China again (I think there will be so many problems that that wouldn't be an issue anyhow) or if it the message reaches the world at large it would only accomplish increased rhetoric with zero action.
I personally will watch the Olympics for two reasons.
1. I love sports and grew up involved in gymnastics. I cannot imagine not watching the world gather and compete, even in a place like China.
2. I want to see China under a magnifying glass. Although China has done quite a bit to spruce up the place, (and in so doing displace thousands in order to build) I believe the better option of the two would be to watch the Olympics. I've heard that Christians in China are glad the magnifying glass is on China, in order that they can make themselves known internationally.
So we will see what happens. Or at least I will. I think the whitewash over Beijing will not be sufficient and the world will see a China that is still in turmoil. I think it will prove to be a sight we would not have seen otherwise.
But I could be very wrong.
Post a Comment