Monday, August 11, 2008

My South Korean friends

This blog is coming to you from a dark parking lot across from the Caboolture library. Don't ask.

Today was kinda a blah day. I tried to stay up and watch the Dream Team vs China game. Stupid TV schedule.

Yesterday was a pretty great day. After church I went home and had a quick sandwich. I then headed to the local park, my Korean friends invited me to come play basketball. It was three guys from my Bible study group and three of their house mates. I am terrible at basketball but i managed to make a few shots. We played for an hour or so and then sat around and talked and then we kicked a soccer ball around.

Later we drove into Brisbane to see the Doulos. The Doulos is a ship that sails around the world with a Christian crew. They distribute books and do work in many different countries. We took my small group to tour the ship. We had 9 go and we all had a great time. On the way home me and my guys talked about basketball, specifically the '92 Dream Team. The one with MJ on it. Koreans seem to know about Michael Jordan and North Carolina pretty well (Take that Duke). So i decided to invite them over for snacks and to watch the Olympics tonight.

Yes, I'm watching the Olympics. I decided to for many reasons one of which...China doesn't care if I don't watch. I think the reason for my blog about all that stuff was. 1. I think what is going on there is wrong. 2. Wish I could do something to change it. 3. Have come to the realization that as Christians we can change things. Politicians and government follows the direction of the wind and if we change the direction of the wind....they will be forced to follow it. Example: Martin Luther King Jr. getting LBJ to come through with the Civil Rights Act.

That whole thing over there bothers me as I know it bothers a great many believers and other people as well. I just wanted to be a voice, to offer a position or even an idea. I mean anything really, a personal view of the situation but I realize the media has over saturated us with that already. I just wanted to maybe start a good breeze. But the games are on and there isn't anything we can do now....and plus...I have asthma...I don't create breezes...I wheeze. Anyway, I digress.

So I had my friends over and we had chips and sat around and watched the different events for a bit. We also got the chance to just hang out. We talked about all kinds of different things. We talked about North Korean and China, pollution, school, money, cars, freedom and interestingly enough military service. See what I didn't know is that every South Korean male at the age of 22 has to serve in the military for 2 years. They said it was very boring and they have forgotten most of their training now. They laughed about that. I'm hanging out with South Korean Army Veterans!

Wow! So they told me about that for a bit. They talked about how North Korea is very poor and the people have no freedom. It was strange to see one of them mime holding a gun to explain that is what happens in North Korea. People are executed. They said that a lot of people don't believe in God. Very bad place is what they said.

One of the guys was on the phone with his sister. They talked for a bit and he asked me if I wanted to talk to her. So I did. I was surprised to hear a person with very good English skills on the other end. Turns out she goes to school in South Carolina. Interestingly enough...she goes to Bob Jones. Her brother told her I live in NC, I explained to her that I am from NC and I live in Clemson. We talked for a few minutes about things and then I let her talk to her bro some more.

How cool is that. I'm an American leading a Bible study for South Koreans in Australia and one of their family members is in America and lives not far from where I do! God is crazy, crazy awesome. The last thing she told me to do was to pray for her brother. Heavy stuff.

Talk about a six degrees of separation moment.

Talk about a God moment.

So we watched the TV some more and I took them home. They have to get up and pick strawberries.

It has been a lot of fun getting to know them. Pray for me and for them.

Well...I'm tired and its only 10:45...I'm getting old.

1 comment:

Christi said...

I am very excited that you are ministering to the Koreans in the land down under...

:o)

Miss ya Jason, and hope you are well...

ps...you STILL haven't given me an address...