Friday, April 18, 2008

the one you've waited for

Here it is, the one that I have had brewing for a few days now.

So last weekend I decided I would venture downtown. It was a Saturday night and a friend of mine from work was going to hang out in a bar and I decided I'd go meet him. The bars close in Clemson at 12 AM on Sunday morning due to the alcohol laws in SC. I parked and walked into downtown. On my side of the street was something most interesting.

I got to see prophets!!!!!!!

No, seriously it was the the sign holding, doom saying, repent or burn, bull horn people...you know...prophets.

As I waited in line to have my ID checked two young ladies behind me noticed them as well. What I heard next was a few choice words and a "who do they think they are comment". I turned and made a face, shrugged my shoulders and shared a laugh with the two ladies. In that moment something became unsettled for me that I knew I was going to have to address later.

When we left my friend handed me one of their cards. This is what he handed me:




This only further infuriated me.

So I showed this to Hank, my roommate who was also infuriated by it. His post will be up shortly after mine, his link is on my sidebar.

This is the conclusion I have arrived at on this method of ministry/evangelism.

I would not do it. My reasoning, because it is not an effective way to share the Good News. It does communicate truth, but the manner in which it is communicated is not conducive to anyone actually wanting to hear it. Yes, Jesus will offend, Scripture will offend when it convicts the heart. But honestly I think there is much better approach than holding up a sign that says "Turn or Burn" or printing cards that say "Who Will Jesus Destroy" These people are not evil people, they have a desire to see people come to know the Lord...their method just isn't the best.

In this culture, especially in the so called "Bible belt" trying to shock people into salvation through a fear of hellfire and damnation is lost. The boiling down of Jesus and salvation through faith in Him into this concept and this concept alone doesn't accurately represent all the facets of Jesus or of Father God. This method or approach emphasizes the consequence of our sinful natures and has little to do with the actual Good News of Christ. Its almost as if these people hate the people they are trying to minister to and are only doing it out of a type of pride, an I'm better than you people attitude or because they are pushing an agenda.

I mean lets look at the Gospels. How did Jesus do it? Jesus formed relationships, He met physical needs and addressed spiritual ones, He spoke to people with love and compassion, He sat with people, ate with them, stayed up late at night with them and He showed them a way to live, an alternative to separation from God. He could have at every opportunity railed against immorality and sinfulness and He did speak about these things. The difference is He earned that right with people to say and speak the harsh truth because He showed love and compassion. He was an amazing teacher and preacher, the best that has ever strapped on sandals and walked on this dusty globe. No one except God the Father and Jesus could know intimately ever wrong thing, every sinful thought and every bad motive that we have ever had. And yet, It was about so much more to him.

He gave his life to give us life. Sure, it was about us becoming transformed, turning to Him and repenting...but it was the way He did it.

Do I even have to quote 1st Corinthians 13:1? What about 1st John 3:18?

Its just frustrating because I can do more ministry IN THE BAR than he can do outside screaming at people.

Haven't they ever heard the old expression you can catch more flies with honey?

2 comments:

JackNathan said...

Jason,
A friend of mine told me this past Sunday about how he went to a couple bars in Clemson and saw those people. He is a Christian (Presbyterian- he can drink). He was with a non-Christian friend of ours. Those people were out there and my friend had to assure our non-christian friend that that was not Christianity. Christianity is grace, not pure condemnation. He said that he walked by the legalists and they wanted nothing to do with him. He said something to them and they seemed more afraid that he would infect them with his "sin".
What struck me was he said they had some signs which said: "THE PARTY ENDS IN HELL"
What are they thinking? Sure, go ahead and keep assuring people that life in the church is boring and lifeless and that true fun sends you to Hell.
Reminds me of another flawed method. I was walking down the street in Due West (a block from the seminary) and a guy attempted to hand me a tract. I looked at it and said "No, thanks". He stared at me and retorted "YOU SAVED!?" And I said yes, and he kinda grumbled and looked back down the street. I don't think he believed me.

JackNathan said...

Oh, I meant to include in my comment:
Great post! I always enjoy reading your blog (especially when you post frequently).