Thursday, June 12, 2008

that big bad brew

General Conference ended yesterday and it was great!

What I want to talk about right now is not really all that controversial unless you are a Wesleyan. Alcohol. Yes, I said it alcohol. The Wesleyan Church has for a long time taken a position of total abstinence from alcohol. That means that a person who wants to become a full member or a "covenant member" of the Wesleyan Church would also abstain from alcohol. For those who do not have a problem with alcohol, but still want to join the Wesleyan Church we had a thing called "community membership". However, the community member could not vote. So there were a few drawbacks to not being a full covenant member.

You may be wondering why I am using the past tense. The church voted to allow community members a vote in the local church. Interesting you might say.

I used to think that would be okay, but I don't anymore. As someone said to me we removed a distinction. Something that made being a covenant member special. I kinda agree with that.

For a long time I felt like alcohol was this great evil. I had been taught by the church that it was a bad thing. No one ever said it was a sin to drink, but they sure made it seem like it was. I'm not just talking about the Wesleyan church either I grew up Baptist. Now, no one in my family drinks and that is part of the reason why I don't, I was never exposed to it. For some people it is no big deal, a glass of wine at dinner, a beer every once in a while. No big deal.

But then you have the opposite of that. Complete and utter irresponsibility. Probably the thing that angered me the most at the state school was two things.

1. Under age drinking
2. And drunkenness of epic proportions

I was just amazed at young peoples complete disregard for themselves and other people. It really baffled me.

My opinion of alcohol has completely changed though.

Alcohol is not evil nor is it a sin to drink.

In our culture 90% of the time the reason for drinking is for one thing: getting drunk. Sure, I completely believe some adults drink responsibly, but my experience with the college culture is not one of responsibility. So drinking is not, but drunkenness is clearly outlined in Scripture as sinful.

The saddest thing is that even young christians find this okay.

I watched something really interesting the other night. It was a TV documentary called 30 days. It is by Morgan Spurlock, the director of Super Size Me. The premise is that for 30 days a person would live a lifestyle completely different from their own. The episode I watched was about a mother who wanted to teach her college age daughter the dangers of binge drinking. So for 30 days she became a binge drinker.

Interesting right. I mean why would a mother do that? Because she loved her daughter. I think she maybe could have done it a different way, but needless to say it was really interesting.

Here is the link:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/5294/30-days-binge-drinking#s-p1-so-i0

Here were few of the things alcohol does to the body.

1. Impairs judgement
2. Weakens the body's immune system
3. Contributes to high blood pressure
4. Diabetes
5. Heart and liver disease
6. Even in small amounts can lead to sleep deprivation
7. Memory loss
8. Anxiety
9. Depression

Yea, all those things sound GREAT!!! Even still drinking is not sinful.

My main beef with the Wesleyan Church's position was that it made it seem like alcohol was sinful. I mean Scripture does not tell us that. So my problem was that to me it seemed like the church was saying something was sinful when it wasn't, making scripture say what they wanted it to. Yes, if you know the Discipline it did say that alcohol is not evil in and of itself, but my problem was still with the language the church used and the kinda unspoken position taken by many people.

Their position is based on an effort to combat potential social problems, alcohol does contributes to all kinds of problems. So the church's position was in an effort to take the ultimate high ground, instead of checking out the cliff's edge and all of it's dangers, the church's stance is that there are dangers over that cliff and to get as far away from the cliff as possible. I mean if you know a gun is loaded you don't look down the barrel looking for the bullets do you? I see the reasoning behind their position. I believe they could have articulated it better.

In America there is a stigma attached to drinking. Why not try to avoid all question about the issue? Why not try to be beyond reproach?

In other cultures it is different. I am glad the Wesleyan Church has finally allowed the International Wesleyans to decide for themselves what to do in their unique cultures.

I believe it is a call to maturity, to avoid something that could potentially cause another to stumble. What is it Scripture says about tying a millstone around your neck and jumping in the water if you cause a young one to stumble? I think young Christians who choose to drink should be aware of the influence they have over even younger ones, and that it is completely sinful for a Christian to become drunk. I honestly don't care who that statement offends, that is Biblical truth. For a Christian to become drunk is an indication of spiritual immaturity. Again, I don't care who that offends.

Also, for a Wesleyan who has made a membership commitment to not drink and does it would be an issue of integrity. Do you live like you say you do?

Personally, I like the taste of Odouls, I think it tastes great with pizza. I will even openly confess that I have had a beer, if you want to judge me for it go right ahead, that will be on you. For me to drink now would be a question of doing what I said I wouldn't do. I had to work through this position in my own spirit. I am not saying that the Holy Spirit convicts people the same way, but He did convict me, now I have to stay true to that conviction.

The reason the Wesleyan Church took this stand is that it is a call to holiness, to a high level of spiritual maturity. It is in an effort to call us to be like Christ. I mean really as Christians do we really just want to strive for the cookies on the lowest shelf. Again, for a Christian to say yes to that statement would really show spiritual immaturity.

Again please hear me when I say I do not think drinking alcohol is a sinful thing. I really, really don't want to appear legalistic here so please dialogue with me about this if you want to. I do think that every Christian, especially us Wesleyans should assess and evaluate any reason for doing it. If you have no convictions about it and made no commitment other wise, I have no problems with you having a drink. I just ask that you be aware of the example you are setting, be prepared to explain that it is a personal choice made after spiritual assessment and with no convictions. Lastly, please, please be responsible. Do not tarnish the name of Christ by being irresponsible.

I really hope this hasn't been too incoherent and does make some sense. It really has taken me a long time to sort this out for myself and please again realize that this is my personal view and I am still sorting it all out. I am not trying to push this off on anyone I am simply thinking things out for myself and posting them here for you to read.

Thanks for reading and please dialogue with if you would like.

more about General Conference coming.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that episode too...it was pretty crazy. And thanks for the Gen. Conf. update too.

high school diploma pat said...

So, you've had "a" beer? That is interesting! I think it has been a little more that "a" beer. I'm glad you had a good time at the conference. Give me a shout sometime if you can.

pat

Hank said...

I think it is an overall good decision by the Wesleyan Church. All to often I have seen problems in the Methodist Church.

It's like you said. I would never keep a loaded gun in my house, and for some people alcohol is a loaded gun.

If voting means that much to someone (and they still want to drink) send them my way to the UMC, but please hold to the values of the Wesleyan Church.

anon said...

Good thoughts, Jason. I've been mulling over this recently as well. I'm quite happy with the change that was made at General Conference. We're a holiness denomination, but holiness has nothing to do with alcohol. It has to do with submission to the work of the Spirit in one's life. There are plenty of people who drink within the boundaries set out in Scripture who are as holy as those who choose not to, and I'm glad that there is now a place for both in our denomination. I am glad, though, that the clergy and leaders (and other covenant members) are still held to a higher standard of "set-apartness." I think this change was a wise step in the right direction.

Unknown said...

Good thoughts Jason. I agree with you. I do have one question about the Wesleyan Church as an outsider. Isn't having two different types of membership with different qualifications (for lack of a better word) kinda making the members adhere to more than what is Biblically required? I had difficulty wording that, but I hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to say. Its kinda like what Paul said to the Galations, I believe, about them ladening the members of the church with the Law and all talking about how it is requiring more than what God requires of us. I'm bordering on rambling so I'm done, but I hope that is somewhat coherant and understandable.